Suspect charged in fatal SE Portland crash

September 19, 2020

PORTLAND, Ore. – Today, Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmidt announced that 27-year-old Dorian Malone-Dews is being charged with manslaughter in the second degree, among other charges, for recklessly causing the death of another person.

Malone-Dews is charged with one count of manslaughter in the second degree, one count of driving under the influence of intoxicants, one count of assault in the third degree, one count of reckless driving, one count of assault in the fourth degree, and one count of failing to perform the duties of a driver.

This investigation started on July 22, 2020 at approximately 10:30 p.m. when Portland Police officers assigned to the Major Crash Team responded to the intersection of Southeast 122nd Avenue and Southeast Stark Street to investigate a fatal crash.

Officers arrived and located Malone-Dews injured inside a vehicle seated in the driver seat, a front seat passenger and a passenger in the back seat. Paramedics transported Malone-Dews and the front seat passenger to the hospital. At the hospital, it was reported that the front seat passenger suffered paralysis from the waist down.

The back seat passenger, Julie Dunlap, died on scene.

According to court documents: During the investigation, law enforcement determined Malone-Dews, while impaired, drove a vehicle northbound on Southeast 122nd Avenue. He collided into the passenger side of a vehicle traveling eastbound on Southeast Stark Street. That initial impact pushed the second vehicle into a third vehicle. The driver of the second vehicle later reported having a concussion, tightness in his neck, and cuts and bruises all over his body. The driver of the third vehicle was not injured.

Law enforcement also determined that prior to the crash, there was an initial two vehicle crash just south of the final crime scene at Southeast 122nd Avenue and Southeast Salmon Street. There, police learned a vehicle traveling northbound on Southeast 122nd Avenue collided into the back tire of a second northbound vehicle, leaving it immobile after impact. The suspect vehicle failed to immediately stop after the collision and continued northbound. Police determined after being involved in the crash at Southeast Salmon Street, the vehicle, driven by Malone-Dews, ultimately crashed at Southeast Stark Street.

At the hospital, police learned Malone-Dews had a blood alcohol content of 0.192%, according to court documents. Malone-Dews denied having anything to drink but said he was taking pain medicine following a recent medical procedure.

On September 17, 2020, Malone-Dews turned himself into the Portland Police Bureau.

No additional information can be released by the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office at this time.

A charging document is only an accusation of a crime. Malone-Dews is innocent unless and until proven guilty.




Media Contact:

Brent Weisberg, Communications Director

Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office